Thursday, December 2, 2010

Hawaii


Our first adventure was Honolulu for four weeks. We were completely spoiled there. The army paid him a per dium that covered a posh condo literally on Waikiki beach. Since it had two bed rooms, Becca (Adam's sister), my mom, and his mom and friend were able to come out and stay each a week with us during our time there. Adam received great feedback from the program and fell more and more in love with Orthopedic surgery. He had his weekends off so we just played.



Since our precious baby girl was to be born around our 2nd anniversary, we decided to island hop over to Maui for a "pre-anniversary" weekend. It was like a second Honeymoon. :)


My father-in-law was able to use his hotel points to get us a couple of nights stay at a beautiful resort on the beach. Adam, being the totally cool fun husband that he is, was able to get an awesome deal on a red-hot convertible. We justified our weekend get-a-way by saying that this will be the last true time it will be just the 2 of us and that we most likely will never do anything like this again till our children are out of college. So, we said :)



Sunset dinner on the beach. Not exactly like the meals I prepare at home.


Though my time on the island seemed completely postcard perfect, It was not entirely paradise. I had just been diagnosed with gestational diabetes (an unusual case--not due to diet or lifestyle at all). So, I was beginning my treatment while in Honolulu. It was a rough adjustment since we were so far away and my dear doctors back home could not treat me. We were in limbo with such a short time there to really get started. Plus, I was having to see a new doctor pretty much every time I had an appointment, (hello military medicine). There was no consistency and huge chunks of important info was falling through the cracks with every visit. Not fun. Though I could not delight in the island cuisine per se, I did drink in plenty of sunshine.

Adam's interviews went well and we met some great people during our stay. The warmth and hospitality of everyone made us feel so welcome. We left Hawaii's sunshine and rainbows with hopes of possibly returning for residency. It had been our first real interview rotation destination and certainly not our last. Our adventures continued as we set sail for the mainland of Washington state. I was excited to compare the programs and experience life in the great north west.

No comments:

Post a Comment