Tuesday, March 22, 2011

The Answer and the Offering




Watermark - Elliana's Song

"Baby woman, tiny in stature now
But your heart is a treasure
Little princess come follow behind me now
I am reaching for you
(chorus)
Elliana, God has answered my prayers
Elliana, God will conquer my fears
To mother a daughter, to look you in the eye
To know that I had everything, to walk with you in life
To give you to Jesus that He would impart
The wisdom that I'm longing for to mother your heart
Elliana, God has answered my prayers
There will be others to lead and to guide you girl
But only one you'll call Mother, the honor is all mine
To show you what a woman's like
I'm so glad you're mine
(chorus)
Tenderness of God is twirling around
In our living room tonight
Lighten up your daddy's eyes
And know that he just wants to freeze you in time
(chorus)

(© All lyrics are copyright of their owners.)


In the fall of 2009, Adam went on a personal retreat to get away and be with God. During that time, he felt God encouraged him that very soon we would have a child. As he played some praise music, he heard these lyrics. Though unable to decipher the name the artist used for the little girl, he shared the song with me that one day God would answer our prayer for a child.


That same fall we heard of someone naming their daughter Eliana, which was Hebrew for "God has answered." I had never heard it before, but immediately I fell in love with it and the truth it states. So, I tucked it away in my memory bank.


I was still dancing that fall when I begin to wonder if I would ever be able to get pregnant (due to my dance background I had developed a hormone insufficiency). Adam was in the middle of a crazy 3rd year of medical school and busy preparing his away rotations for the following fall. We decided that we should wait till late spring to begin thinking about a baby. For what would we do if for some amazing chance I got pregnant sooner?! Adam would be away on rotations during its due date. No, we were planners and we were going to wait.


Funny how God works! Miracles can happen!

Four weeks later--Hello, baby Hines was on the way. And Adam got the fun part of canceling all his rotations and moving them up to the summer.


We were going to wait to find out the gender, but I couldn't. We tried several names, but we both just felt that for some reason the baby's name was to be Elliana. (Bummer if it was a boy). One day we replayed the song from Watermark that Adam heard but this time actually read the lyrics. We were blown away that it was the exact name we felt led to call our child. The sonogram confirmed FEMALE and it was settled.


So, exactly a year later from Adam's personal retreat with God and the song he felt God gave him as a promise, Elliana Belen was born.


God had answered our prayer. But more than that, this name was a statement about His character. His attribute. Who He is. He does answer. He answered the ultimate cry of mankind--to be saved, forgiven, redeemed. He answered by sending His Son to die on the cross. We wanted our little girl to know that God is the answer to ALL things and He will answer.


"I thank you that you have answered me and have become my salvation"

Psalm 118:21


On Sunday, March 20, 2011, we dedicated little Elliana Belen Hines back to the LORD. He is good. He is faithful. He hears us, and He has answered.

2 comments:

  1. I love this post. Beautiful...and honestly, I never truly grasped the depth of baby "dedications". I thought it was only dedicating ourselves to raising our children to know the Lord and to follow Him...but to dedicate our children back to the Lord...such a big piece. Thank you for sharing. PS cutest baby girl! CUTEST!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome story! She is so precious. We love and miss you guys. Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete